Swiss Chard and Sweet Potato Salad
This colorful gluten-free warm salad or side dish packs a powerhouse full of nutritional value and tastes super-delish too!*
- 1 TBSP organic olive oil plus extra to drizzle
- 2 shallots peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp coriander seeds crushed
- 1 chili seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 9 oz Swiss chard leaves stalks removed and finely chopped, and leaves finely sliced
- salt and black pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil with a tablespoon of water over low heat in a medium saucepan with a lid. Add the shallots and coriander seeds and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots have softened.
Add the chili and garlic, and cook for 1 minute. Add the sweet potato cubes and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, adding a dash of water if necessary. Then add the chopped chard stalks, cover with the lid, and cook for 10 minutes.
When the sweet potato is almost cooked, add the shredded chard leaves, cover, and let them wilt for about 3 minutes. Serve with salt and black pepper, drizzle with a few drops of olive oil and serve.
If you're avoiding nightshades, the chili can easily be left out of this recipe, it still tastes great!
*Recipe from Neal's Yard Remedies/DK Publishing Healing Foods book.